0

Attention Please!

"Wow, you injured yourself doing CrossFit huh? I hear there is a high rate of injury in that sport."


I get a lot of the comments above when they ask about what happened, what's up with the knee brace and why I walk the pimp walk. 
(Hmm maybe I should walk with a chalice and have a cane as well hehe)

Just so I am clear, this injury was not due to CrossFit. Mine was due to me not taking care of a problem I had for quite some time.  With me being pretty active my entire life, it was never an issue. The pain that we endure in our workouts and when we "tweak" something, is USUALLY pretty temporary and goes away after a certain period of time.

For me, it was clear that I had sustained a grade 4 chondromalacia, (in short arthritis) and a pretty severe one at that. A piece from the surface of the femur bone had chipped away after a trauma that occurred years ago. Now, about that trauma that happened? Not really sure when that was, but it seems as though it involved the tearing of the lateral meniscus, possibly while snowboarding and running, and just living life. I didn't know about it or rather never paid attention to it and now I have a knee of an 80 year old oba-chan (that's japanese for grandma).  

Now my knee isn't like an ACL, MCL, or even PCL tear and hopefully will heal quickly, but here's what I have to preach. And preach I must because I think it's really important.

Maybe it's really 2 points that I need to make:

1. CrossFit is a sport of fitness. In any sport where you move your body, people get injured. It just happens. There are a ton of football, basketball, soccer, tennis, you name it, injuries that happen on a regular basis. I know more than a few people who tore their ACL because they stepped down on their foot incorrectly, or there was a dip in the sidewalk and their knee just gave out. All because they were WALKING. Am I going to tell someone to stop walking? 
I hate people automatically just assuming that CF causes injury and harm to the body. But this also brings me to point #2.

2. Pay attention to your body. Listen to what it's feeling and react accordingly. Maybe it's not even to be reactive, but be proactive about it. And I don't want to sound like I know what I'm sayin,' but in my experience, I know that I should have paid more attention to what my body was telling me. 

We all know that CrossFit is amazing! I love it, and I will always love it for what I've gained from it the past year and 8 months or so. Actually, not only CrossFit, but in all the sports that I participated as a kid---> to the sports that I enjoy playing now. 
Our workouts are tough. By tough, I mean that a lot of people would run the opposite way if they were ever asked to do it. You all have experienced the "SUCK" in a workout, where you just don't think you can do one more rep and make it out alive, but you grit your teeth and do it anyway.

Maybe the next day you're sore. Like in my fundamentals class, I totally remember the 2nd day where I literally had to grab the walls to lower myself down onto the toilet to go pee. haha. I think most people have experienced muscle soreness. If that soreness doesn't go away after you've rolled out and stretched out or if there is a high amount of swelling in your ankle, knee, or shoulders, pay attention to it. If you hear something "Pop" in your joints, pay attention to it. Monitor your recovery. If things don't get better, or if it gets worse, go seek a professional. 

Never think that you're too good or that you don't want to feel like a wuss because of the pain you are experiencing. Pain is real. It's your body's way of telling you that not everything is functioning correctly or normally. 

Maybe if I had paid attention a bit more, this may have been a simpler issue to fix and if it was detected earlier, I possibly would have been able to fix the issue with physical therapy.

Listen to your body, treat it with respect and I promise that it will be good to you!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top